Growing smart trees, shrubs and landscape plantings
Planting and caring for trees, shrubs and landscape plantings will make your yard attractive.
General requirements and care
- Choosing smart trees and shrubs for Michigan landscapes
- Drought-tolerant plants save water, money and time
- Tree selection
- How to plant trees and shrubs
- Maintenance on trees and shrubs
- Common problems associated with trees and shrubs
- Tree Owner’s Manual for the Northeastern and Midwestern U.S.
- Statewide table for frost-free dates for planting decisions
Native plants and beneficial insects
- Video on selecting native or well-adapted plants to simplify meeting the plant’s needs
- Native plants can be a smart choice for Michigan landscapes
- Visit nativeplants.msu.edu for fact sheets about specific plants and to learn about their ecosystem services.
- Identifying natural enemies that offer you biological control
- Identifying weeds in the landscape
- Scouting for pests in herbaceous perennials
- Scouting for pests in woody landscape plants